Commercial Auto

dreamstime_xs_51375702Business owners maintain liability, comprehensive, and collision coverage for their fleet of commercial vehicles.

A vehicle may be considered a commercial vehicle if it:

• Is used for business, but is in an individual’s name, such as a sole proprietor
• Exceeds a certain weight or class and therefore, is “classified” as commercial even though it may not be commercially used or commercially owned. A weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more is always consider commercial.
• Hauls hazardous material.
• A vehicle that is used for a business and a vehicle that is owned in the name of that business entity.

Business Automobile Insurance provides liability, uninsured motorists, underinsured motorist, and physical damage coverage for all vehicles owned by you and used in your business.

Optional Coverages and Definitions:

Medical payments – offers coverage for the cost of doctors, hospitals and funeral expenses of you and/or your passengers, that result from an accident, regardless of who is at fault. This insurance coverage would protect you when you drive another person’s car with your permission or if you or your family members are struck by another vehicle as pedestrians. Limits usually vary anywhere from $2500 to $10,000.

Personal injury protection (PIP) – this coverage is a broader form of medical payments insurance. It can pay for medical care, lost wages and replacement services for the injured party. PIP pays regardless of fault in an accident.

Uninsured Motorist (UM) – offers coverage is for the cost of damages and injuries resulting from being hit by an uninsured driver. Both you and your passengers would be covered for medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.

Underinsured Motorist (UIM) – offers coverage is for damages that exceed the amount of coverage carried by an underinsured driver. You choose the amount of coverage when you purchase this protection.

Collision coverage – offers coverage for damage to your own auto that results from colliding with another vehicle. Your vehicle would be covered no matter who caused the accident with this coverage subject to a deductible.

Comprehensive coverage – offers coverage for damage to your own auto caused by an accident other than a collision. This includes theft and vandalism, and disasters such as fire, flood and hail. This coverage also requires you pay the deductible before the insurance company pays the damages.

Rental car coverage – offers coverage for the use of a rental car when a covered vehicle was involved in an accident and while it is being repaired.

Towing & Labor – offers coverage for towing & labor. If you have an accident, the towing company affiliated with your insurance company may tow you vehicle, choose the option that works best for your needs.


Whichever policy you choose, the Maxwell Insurance Group can provide owners with a clear understanding of the insurance policies that they buy for their business.